December 28, 2010

New Year's Resolution?

Happy Holidays and almost new year! I'm not big on new year's resolutions, actually not a fan at all. So I decided to come up with a winter "challenge" and kick-off. The plan is to make one homemade soup (including chili) per week through March. I can learn new recipes, save money and (hopefully) shed the Christmas cookie blubber.

Today I found and made this simple recipe for black bean cumin soup and decided to share. I tend not to follow recipes exactly so I am posting my version, but the original recipe in full can be found here.

Black Bean Cumin Soup via epicurious
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1-2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 stalk celery chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 3 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 can mild green chilis or 1 chopped jalapeño chile with seeds, divided
  • 2 15 to 16 ounce cans black beans, undrained
  • 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
  • 2 cups low-salt chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
Optional toppings
  • Chopped fresh cilantro
  • Chopped green onions
  • Shredded mexican cheese
  • Sour Cream
  • Avocado
  • Tortilla Chips

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes.

Mix in cumin and chilies. Add beans, tomatoes with juice, and broth; bring soup to boil.

Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.

Note: I skipped this next step and left it ALL chunky, so I would say the next step is optional & it was faster to skip. Transfer 3 cups of soup to blender and puree until smooth. Return puree to pot. Simmer soup until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.

Top with cilantro, onions, avocado and sour cream and serve with tortilla chips.


1 comment:

  1. That is a great idea. We love soups around my house. We had a great white chicken chili for dinner last night. Yum. Keep sharing your recipes and let me know if you need any ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive